Thursday 22 September 2011

Toasted Sangas

So, the talk turns to toasted sandwiches. 'Can your fiancé cook?' I ask my dear friend Noo. She collapses in hysterical laughter. 'No, he puts funny ingredients in things. Like that time we were eating spaghetti Bolognese and I asked "what's that taste in this, I can't quite put my finger on it?"
"Oh, that's ginger" he said. We collapsed again into fits of laughter. 
"So, I said, just toasted sandwiches for him then?"
"Oh, no way, said Noo, I can't trust him with them!"
 We definitely agreed that there has to be that fine balance between crunchy and greasy outside, and it must have butter before it's toasted...not the cheap margarine slathered across the top after toasting - when you take a bite all you get is the taste of bad marg and cold toast. No, there is an art form to the humble toasted sandwich. The cheese must be oozing, but not too much, and if you have ham then it can't overpower the cheese. The bread needs to be thick enough to withstand those sandwich toasters that are like rock crushers. You don't want a pancake with plastic cheese, or a 'cardboard sandwich with blue tack,' as Louie and I later decided.
And the final touch? Salt and pepper on the outside! Oohh...now I have not tried this and am most excited about my next toastie, which I think I will make myself because I also like grainy mustard in mine, but not too much, just a tiny slither for that hint of taste.
No, there needs to be a fair amount of love put into making the perfect 'toastie', as with life, you take out the love and there is nothing. There is an emptiness, a bland taste and still the need to fill the lonely vaccumous void. I would love to hear your ‘toasted sandwiches’ creations, feel free to comment with them. Until then, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dani dear, the rumour's going 'round
    The sanga is no sanga
    withoout the sourdough, stoney ground'
    And, too a slice of tomato, delicately hewed
    From top class hydroponics (too early for home grewed!)
    And 'neath the grill she goes, slowly, bit by bit
    'Cause sangas in the sanga press
    Most always most always come out
    HARD AS BRICKS!
    And choose your cheddar wisely
    Do not resort to Kraft
    Or else your fellow toasters
    Will think yer bloody daft...

    Tony

    ReplyDelete

The bliss of blueberries and other encounters...

Oh boy, how did a year and a bit go past without a post? Oops... It's been a very, very difficult past 18 months and to be honest, I ju...